top of page
  • Jan Clementson

Is mould in your home causing you health problems?

Yesterday's news brought the tragic tale of young Awaab Ishaki who died from mould exposure in his home. Watching this story on TV, it was easy to recoil in horror at the extent of the visible mould in his home and reflect on the tragedy of such a wasted young life that could have been avoided. Yet, this is just the tip of the iceberg in the explosion of mould-related health conditions that have occurred since the start of the pandemic.



Only last month the Mail Online reported on the WHO (World Health Organisation) raising this very issue that mould is an opportunistic pathogen that has exploded since Covid-19. This is what I am seeing in practice with many of my clients testing positive for mould mycotoxins, despite having an array of different health conditions. And I know only too well from first hand experience just how toxic and damaging mould exposure can be when I had an acute mould exposure in my own home last year, which forced me to move home. Thankfully, I already knew how to address my subsequent health conditions that arose because of that exposure and I am now clear and back to full health.


Unlike Awaab's case, most people are not even aware that they have been exposed to mould as it's often not visible. Home mould ususally arises from water-damaged buildings. The mould can be lurking in the walls, basements, attic, under the floor boards or behind wallpaper. You may have been in the property when the building was water-damaged or, more likely, you subsequently moved into a new property having no awareness of this as the damage had been covered up. Yet if a building is not remediated properly after the water damage, the mould can take hold without you even realising it. And to complicate matters further, 25% of the population do not have the genes to properly detoxify the mould toxins (mycotoxins). This means that your exposure could have been up to 30 years ago but your body has not been able to eliminate the mycotoxins. In these cases, the immune system has been keeping them in check.......until a big stressor comes along and over-challenges the immune system, which is then no longer able to control the mycotoxins and symptoms develop.


So, what kind of symptoms should you look out for? Well, there are many and they are not just confined to the respiratory system. Mould affects all of the facial passages, the airways and the skin and will drain your energy significantly. Here are some common symptoms to look out for:

  • Energy - tiredness, fatigue, shortness of breath, low mood and motivation

  • Nasal - runny nose, nose bleeds, blocked nose/sinuses, post-nasal drip

  • Vision - eye irritation, blurry vision, changes in vision

  • Hearing - itchy ears, ringing/tinnitus, hearing fluctuations, dizziness, vertigo

  • Mouth - coated tongue, mouth sores, sore throat, lump in throat, increased thirst

  • Skin - itchy, burning, ice-pick pain sensations, yeast/fungal infections

  • Others - frequent urination, anaemia, hay fever, allergies, bloating, weight gain

Extreme facial burning was one of the main symptoms that manifested in me. It felt like someone had thrown acid all over my face but the burning was also inside of my face. It started to affect my vision and hearing and I experienced the weird ice-pick like skin sensations that I'd read about and heard of but couldn't quite relate to. But when you experience them, then you just know what they are. And my thirst......I could not drink enough water. Mould affects the water-balance hormone ADH (anti-diuretic hormone), so you get very thirsty and bloat up. Once I left the environment, some of the symptoms started to abate quickly but it took several months of treatment to sort out the rest, not least the bloating and weight gain. It can be very difficult to lose weight until the mycotoxins are eliminated from your body.


If you are worried that you may have been exposed to mould or have some of the symptoms mentioned, I am happy to discuss this with you and what you can do to help yourself. Simply book into my free 30 minutes telephone Discovery call. Link below:




News Articles


Comments


Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
No tags yet.
Follow Us
  • Facebook Classic
  • Twitter Classic
  • Google Classic
bottom of page